Practice Areas: General Municipal, Litigation, Contracts and Procurement, Licensing, Eminent Domain, Appellate Tax Board, Tax Collection, Landlord/Tenant
Attorney Thomas McEnaney has over 25 years of experience in municipal law and serves as town counsel to several communities in Massachusetts. His practice focuses on public sector procurement, construction, designer selection, contract law, licensing, eminent domain, taxation, and Appellate Tax Board proceedings. He also counsels clients on a variety of general municipal law issues, including town meetings, local legislation and regulations, conflict of interest, public records, the Open Meeting Law, and municipal finance. Attorney McEnaney also chairs our Contracts/Procurement and Tax Title practice groups and is well-versed in the federal, state, HUD, and DHCD laws and regulations affecting public housing authorities.
Prior to joining the firm, Attorney McEnaney was employed as an accountant and auditor by Fidelity Investments and served as a law clerk for the City of Lynn Law Department. Attorney McEnaney has presented numerous seminars on a variety of topics, including the Open Meeting Law, Public Records Law, tax title procedure, public construction and municipal contracting, as well as ATB practice and procedure. He has also drafted several articles and client alerts related to Appellate Tax Board, procurement, public construction and licensing issues.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for construction, project management, designer and engineering services; and drafting and reviewing invitations to bid, requests for proposals and related documents.
- Representing municipalities in construction disputes before the Superior Court, Federal Court and the Office of the Attorney General.
- Representing municipalities at local licensing hearings and before the Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission.
- Representing municipalities in litigation matters, including tort, liquor licensing and eminent domain cases, before the Superior Court and Federal Court.
- Counseling and representing municipalities on tax issues, including proceedings before the Superior Court, Land Court and Appellate Tax Board.
- Representing housing authorities and municipalities in District or Housing Court in eviction cases for cause, nonpayment of rent, drug activity and following tax title foreclosures.
City of Lynn Law Department, Lynn, MA
Law Clerk (1993-1995)
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Public Law Section
- YMCA of Metro North, Board of Directors 2006-2012
- Governor’s Seaport Advisory Council, Northeast Regional Representative 2004-2015
- Danvers American Little League, Manager/Coach/Board Member 2010 – 2022
- Danvers Babe Ruth, Coach 2023
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. District Court (Mass.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals (First Circuit)
Boston University School of Law
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1995
Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar
Boston University International Law Journal
Boston College, Wallace E. Carroll School of Management
Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, 1990
Beta Gamma Sigma National Honor Society